6/29/2009

Mixtape: Bad and Beautiful and Strange (Full Circle Sing-Along)


So, I think I've discovered the perfect way to get past a shitty mood. What you need is a good metaphorical kick in the ass by a friend, followed by three hours in the center of a beer-soaked moshpit which results in two days of impaired hearing, and finished off by the early-morning exercise of making a melancholy mixtape that turns out more hopeful than sad in the end. Therapy through music, bitches; tested and proven.

As you can probably guess, this is that tape. I like it a lot. In fact, I think it's close to my favorite mix that I've ever made, that's how well it turned out. It's not what I would call 'happy' (I didn't intend for it to be), but it has a strange stream of reassurance and optimism running through it. Aside from a couple of tracks it's very subdued, and almost the entire thing is acoustic. If there's any mix I've posted that I think everyone should at least try, this is it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Title: Bad and Beautiful and Strange (Full Circle Sing-Along)
Length: 1:21:32
Download

1. Bon Iver - "Flume"
2. Cake - "Friend is a Four Letter Word"
3. American Football - "The Summer Ends"
4. Bob Dylan - "If You See Her, Say Hello"
5. Carissa's Wierd - "So You Wanna Be A Superhero"
6. Nick Drake - "Road"
7. Bishop Allen - "Butterfly Nets"
8. Elliott Smith - "Christian Brothers"
9. Beck - "Lost Cause"
10. Broken Social Scene - "Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl"
11. Bright Eyes - "First Day of My Life"
12. Big Star - "Thirteen"
13. Beat Happening - "Indian Summer"
14. E - "Hello Cruel World"
15. The Blue Seeds - "My Fair Weather Friend"
16. The Smashing Pumpkins - "Tonite Reprise"
17. The Matches - "The Barber's Unhappiness"
18. Michael Leviton - "If Sense Were Really Common"
19. Belle and Sebastian - "The Boy Done Wrong Again"
20. Get Set Go - "Music Makes Me Want to Die"
21. Eels - "Things the Grandchildren Should Know"

No comments: